Saturday, October 9, 2010

Halloween Peek-a-boo!

Hi!  I made this little book for Halloween.  I had actually thought of this one before the counting one.  This one is smaller in size, just 3.5 x 3.5 inches.  It's a lift-the-flap book.

I stamped and cut out the little guys from TGF's Spooktacular set.  I cut 7 pages out, each 3.5 x 7 inches.  Five pages for the stamps and two blank pages, one for the first page and the other for the last page.  It's nice to have some blank pages to write a note or something if you're planning to give it to someone.

I scored all the pages in the middle and glued them together.  I spread the glue around all the way to the edges.  It gets a little messy.  I used the glue pictured above mostly because I had seen it on Sunghee's blog.  She makes great little mini books, albums and templates too.  I think this glue works okay.  Is there a better glue for this type of project?

 
I used PTI's Mat Stack 4 die.  Trimmed off a bit on the bottom to make a straight edge and then scored it at about 3/8 inch from the bottom.  Made one for each of the little guys to hide behind.  The paper is from My Mind's Eye.  It's double sided so I didn't have to worry about covering the other side and it's thick enough.  I glued each one onto a page and taped the bottom of each die cut paper over the image.

For the cover I cut a piece of cardstock that was just longer than 7 inches and covered it with the paper above from Doodlebug.

I wrapped the cover around the book.  Then scored it at the appropriate places.  Now, I don't know what's better.  To glue everything on the pages first, then wrap the cover around or put the cover on first then glue the pieces in after.  Because when you glue everything in first, the bottom of the book gets fatter than the top and you kind of have to fidget with the cover to get it straight.  I guess I'd have to experiment some more.

But the most important thing to do is not glue the cover onto the spine or onto the entire back page so that the book can open properly.  I kind of experiment on where to glue the back cover and score it appropriately.  For this book I think I messed up a little.  I placed the score line a bit too far.  Look at a real board book for reference.  Then I trimmed off the excess cover.

Pages of the book with the images hidden and then revealed.  I handwrote "peek-a-boo!" by each one.  You could add any kind of wording on the opposite page too.  I chose to keep it simple.  Also, rounded the corners of the book.

So, now that makes 2 little board books in my collection.  I have another one in mind, a TGF ABC book.  That may take a while.  Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

6 comments:

donna mikasa said...

Super cute book, Eva! Love how the pages open up to reveal an image! Thanks for the heads up on where to buy the mini comp books--I found some at Office Depot!

**CrEaTiNgWiThAlOhA** said...

Wow Eva ubber cute....TFS

Cheryl said...

What a cute idea for a mini book! I love all the halloween images and paper!

Heidi said...

So cute!!!

Berenice R. said...

Hi Eva! Super cute project. Thanks for sharing :)

Sunghee said...

I LOVE IT! I love how you used the color cardstocks inside. What a cute peek-a-boo mini book! I LOVE MINI BOOKS!!!!
Yeah, glue gets so messy. I use Tombow Mono (green/white bottle), but it gets sticky. I try to use double sided sticky sheets instead, but this can be expensive =(