Skip to main content

Summer Days

Hi!   Remember Grease, the movie?  That is one of my favorite movies.  Love all the songs and it was on TV again last night as I was washing the dishes.  I thought it was a nice coincidence since my project I just completed was somewhat inspired by that Summer Nights song and just summer in general.


Wouldn't it be nice if it wasn't so rainy here?  Storming again today and couldn't take nice pictures in the gloomy weather.  Anyway, I had mentioned I was into this 3D paper piecing technique as shown HERE.  This is the project that has been driving me a bit bonkers.  Maybe I was trying to do too much into one project and I kept changing my mind on what I should do.  So it took me much longer to finish this than I had planned.  It's not quite how I had envisioned it at first but I guess it's okay and I'm glad to be done with it and move on.  Oh, and this project is also for TGF's Retro-fresh challenge--a whole new dimension.

I wanted to make a foam book like the ones they have for kids.  I thought it would be fun and different.  I looked at one of my kids' foam books to copy how they put it together.

So then I turned this into a summer themed mini scrapbook.  Maybe we'll put small photo collages on the empty pages.

I ended up covering the edges of the foam with washi tape.  I used 6 mm foam and our local craft store didn't have light blue like I wanted so I used white.  Guess it didn't matter since I ended up covering it.

This is Anya from TGF's Sunshine Kit.  I paper pieced her using the 3D technique.

Here is a view of the different layers.  I also die cut the foam to have a rectangle cutout so that Anya wouldn't get smashed and it would give the page a bit more dimension.

I covered the inside rectangle edge with washi tape too. 

The left page is blank.  I wasn't sure if I should put a sentiment on there but then just decided to leave it for maybe some short journaling and a photo.

TGF's Surfer Anya.  She took a bit of layering.  But I do love how she turned out.

She's tucked into the rectangle cutout too.

The last set of pages. 

TGF's Surfer Ian.

3D paper pieced again.  These were the 3 I did first before Geisha Anya in my previous post.


I "borrowed"  some fishy stickers from my kids.  Hehe. 

Geez, my hands are freezing now even though I have gloves on.  Yeah, it's kind of hard to type with gloves on.  After lunch I think the kids and I will cuddle together with all our blankets and pillows on the living room floor.  Hopefully, they will fall asleep and take a nap.  We actually slept like that last night.  Kind of like a sleepover in our own living room.  Can't wait for some sun.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Wow, Wow Eva!
This is really pretty... love that summer mini scrapbook... Great detailing through out the whole layout.... you are super duper amazing...love your creativity in this...love it!
mauiquilter said…
great job11 Love how you cut out the sheets for your layered work - a treasure for sure!!
Rachel Parys said…
Dude, you are putting us all to shame! This is fantastic! Something like this would have taken me foreeeeeever! You are truly a genius! Probably makes your spring fever worse though. ;p
Eva! Holy moly lol. This is just amazing! Wow what a project...no wonder it was frustrating you, but well worth it. It is just so special! Love how you made the book and your colouring is just fantastic. You have done such a good job!!
Cheryl said…
Love your project, but first i have to say, you're wearing gloves?! Holy cow, what's going on over there with the weather?! Anyhow, very cool book! Love that shadow box look! That's a whole lotta paper piecing, looks fantastic!
Jenny said…
Oh-my-god. so cute! I'd love to see a tutorial on this?! So very clever. Stay warm! (My mom said the tornado was down the street from where she lives!!!)
Unknown said…
WONDERFUL. Amazing, great job!!. I have no words to express how much I like it. Congratulations!! :)
Lorraine said…
Jaw-dropping gorgeous, girlfriend! Such beautiful papers, coloring & technique! You are always so over the top! You SHOULD be on a DT, ya know, lol! And gloves? It's been rainy/stormy and a little cold, but not freezing to me, lol. I just hope the VOG clears up becuz it's killing all of our allergies! EEK
RiNNE said…
Girlfriend!! This is fabulous!!! Umm, did you apply to be on the DT like Lorraine asked?? Or please tell me (even though you can't) that you are a guest DT later on? Love all the details!! We can all see how much you loooove TGF!

Popular posts from this blog

Snowman gift card holder

Hi!  I was planning to post this last night but I was just too tired to write or think of complete sentences.  It's been a busy week with the boys on Fall break and still trying to finish up a bunch of crafts.  I have been trying to make some crocheted crafts to put in my Etsy shop and finally I'm done with one.  It's a crocheted snowman that can hold a gift card or anything actually that is small enough to fit in the pouch.  The pattern is designed by ChiWei Ranck of One Dog Woof and can be found HERE . Here's the little snowman with his arms folded over in the front to look like he is hugging the card.  I added this fun card that I stamped.  You can definitely add in a gift card too behind this card. The gift card reaches under his nose. This is how the little opening of the pouch looks.  I hope I can make more of these little guys.  These would be so cute for teachers and I think it would be easy to put a little wire through the hat and then use it as

coffee cup shaped cards

Hi!  I think after this post I may need a little nap!  My right shoulder is actually feeling worn out from all the typing and photo editing I've been doing lately.  And this cooler weather is making me drowsy.  It's getting cold here already! I made a bunch of these coffee shaped cards using a die from Honey Bee Stamps .  It's a cute coffee set but the die is extra long so it would probably help to have a longer platform to diecut.  I just have the standard sized one so I would pass it through once in my Big Shot and then rotate the cardstock and die carefully to cut the other end.  Manageable but the longer platform would be more convenient! I embossed the front of the card with some pretty snowflakes.  I think this is a Sizzix embossing folder.  And then stamped the coffee sleeve with some Lawn Fawn stamps. This is the inside.  The gift card slot does not come with this coffee cup die set.  I cut that opening with one of the dies from MFT's gift card dies.

all occasion tags

Hello!  I have more tags to share today.  I kept these simple too to be used on most any occasion.  They have no sentiments on them. I used MFT's cute Birdie Brown Bitty Bears stamp set.  These were on my wish list for a while and I kept going back and forth about purchasing them especially because I wanted the dies to cut them out too and those were very expensive!  Geez, remember the old days when we used to fussy cut everything out by hand? This is the next 6 tags.  There's also a cute bear with a Santa hat that I didn't include in the photos.  This was a pretty quick project since I kept the bears white!  Not much coloring on these tags but they are still cute and colorful. I thought I was going to be doing more stamping but I've actually gone on to crochet more!  I've made 3 more crochet projects that I'll share soon.  Sometimes I do get the urge to color something but these days it's so much easier to pick up some yarn and my hook and crochet