Saturday, February 12, 2011

PTI Think BIG Challenge

Hi!  Have you ever seen those cute little headbands they have for babies now?  The ones that have a flower almost as big or bigger than the baby's head?  See HERE for a sample.  I think they are so cute!  So when PTI announced the Think BIG Challenge (HERE for details) I wanted to try to make something like that but with PTI felt.  It is a PTI challenge after all so I tried to incorporate as much PTI stuff as possible.  It is easy to buy a silk flower and headband and glue it together to achieve a similar look. 

Here's the flower I made all with PTI felt.  I used Nestabilities Big Scalloped Circles Large for the green, pink and the yellow piece on the bottom that I sewed everything on to.  Nichole had shown us this for making a flower HERE.  You just fold the piece in half and then half again.  I just used the largest scalloped die for the green and the 3rd largest for the pink.  The small yellow pieces are made from the Beautiful Blooms 2 dies.  I used a large needle and yarn to sew it together.  Kind of thick but still manageable.

The button in the middle is also from PTI.  It had a little indent in the middle so I glued a little SU rhinestone in it. 

I thought about attaching the flower to hats and plastic headbands but I really wanted the elastic headbands so I could give it away as a baby gift.  I only hope she has a girl!  If not I hope to find someone who would give it a good home.  I ran out and bought the headbands from Macy's this morning. 

I sewed the headband to the flower and then hot glued another scalloped felt piece to cover up all the messy yarn.

Just to show you the size as compared to a PTI stamp set.

Tried it on my daughter's dolly.  Yeah, it's pretty big.

Then I thought about how to package it and came up with this.  This is the back.  I cut one of those clear boxes that PTI stamps come in.  I rounded the corners and punched 2 pairs of holes near the top and bottom and tied the headband to the plastic with twine. 

The front.  I'll probably place it in a clear bag.  Just don't have one at the moment.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

8 comments:

Karen said...

This is gorgeous, and I love the way you packaged it.

Lisa B said...

I absolutely love this!!!!! Amazing work!

joy said...

Great color! I love how you are going to package it! You are so clever!

Cheryl said...

What a great project! Love that huge felt flower! I don't know where I've been, I haven't seen these types of headbands before.

Carol's Ink Spot said...

This is SO SWEET! I love it! And it is BIG! Wonderful project.

Shauna K said...

saw this on the PTI link up- what a beautiful flower! the button {and the rhinestone!} are the perfect embellies- and I love the color combo too!

Lorraine said...

Ooh, what a gorgeous flower you created! And the packaging is perfect!

Sunghee said...

So pretty!!!