Skip to main content

On Your 81st Birthday

Hello.  I'm actually making a seasonal card, before the season is over, or technically even before it begins since it still feels like summer weather around here.
Anyhow, I was wanting to make a fall birthday card, and found this Hero Arts leaves stamp set that I won last winter from a blog giveaway.  So I searched online to get some ideas of what people have done with this set, and I found this card by Nichol Magouirk.  I thought she did some neat things with the background stamping, so here is my version, the simplified version.  This was quite a bit of stamping for me though.

First off, this is a larger card than usual, I just folded the letter size cardstock (Summer Sunrise from PTI) in half.  I used Wild Honey and Rusty Hinge distress ink for the leaves, and Scattered Straw for the text.  The text is rather faint, which turned out to be a good thing since I stamped one half upside down!  It's one of those really slanty old style handwriting fonts from a Studio 490 background stamp.  I actually wasn't really paying attention until after I stamped it as I was more concerned with positioning the card over the stamp since I didn't have a huge acrylic block for it.

The brown piece was embossed with a woodgrain folder, then I added walnut stain distress ink to the raised areas trying to make them stand out more, but it didn't really make an obvious difference.  I cut the numbers on my Craft Robo, using a thick chunky font, Nobility Casual. I thought my little machine wouldn't be able to handle Papertrey ink cardstock, but I just cut it twice (there is actually a double cut function which I didn't notice at first) and it turned out OK.  Then I stamped the numbers with a background stamp from Studio 490, again, like I've seen Nichol Magouirk do with her die cuts.

The Big Birthday Wishes words were embossed with black embossing powder.  That was a bit of a mistake as the ink was a little too dry, so the powder didn't stick too well to the actual stamped images but decided to stick everywhere else on the cardstock.  Then finally I added the 2 little Tiny Tags in Terracotta Tile.  It feels a bit empty on the right, but oh well, that's what happens when I don't use a sketch.  Maybe I will slide the string and tags over to the right a little more.
 Then I put another Spellbinders label on the inside with the birthday sentiment.  I was actually going to use this size label initially for the cover, but since the card was so huge, I changed it to the largest label instead.

Comments

eva said…
wow, that's a big card. maybe everyone could sign it though. i think it looks pretty well balanced with the bow and tiny tags on the right. ever check out the hero arts challenges?
Cheryl said…
I will have to check out the hero blog, I had unsubscribed a while ago because I couldn't keep up with all the posts. I don't really have too many of their stamps, just the holiday ones I won. And the Asian girl ones.
Lorraine said…
Ooh, I love the fall colors and designs on your card!

Popular posts from this blog

TGF 3rd Annual Customer Blog Hop

Hi!  After finishing up these 2 projects for TGF's Blog Hop , I've come to realize that I am kind of addicted to stamps, especially TGF stamps.  Hehe.  Okay, I will not babble on too much since there are lots of other blogs to check out as well.  I made something for both categories, Holiday and General. First up is my Holiday card. I recently acquired Hippie Anya!  She inspired me to make a "peace" card for the holidays. But then I had to add Fleur Anya for "love" ... and 80s Anya for "joy."  So great that these stamps could be turned into something Christmas-y. My General project has been swimming in my mind ever since I made that counting book a while back with TGF stamps as well.  I thought I could make an ABC book too.  But I didn't make this into a book.  More like flashcards, I suppose.  My youngest has a hard time recognizing lower case letters so I thought this would be fun for him.  All stamps are TGF.  I ...

My Mind's Eye and Perfect Paper Crafting Blog Hop!!

Hello!  Welcome to another Perfect Paper Crafting blog hop !  Today, the Perfect Paper Crafting Design Team will be featuring projects with My Mind's Eye products.  There is a $50 gift certificate to the Perfect Paper Crafting online store available to one lucky person who comments on all the blogs along the hop.  My Mind's Eye is also giving away their Happy Haunting collection.  You have until Friday, November 1st at 12:00 AM PST to leave your comments.  Good Luck! It's a short hop list this time around! Perfect Paper Crafting & Laura My Mind's Eye Pam Jenny Eva (Me!) Roxie Recently, I saw these layering tags dies and thought I really wanted those.  I love the look of layered tags so I used my Perfect Layers rulers to make some with My Mind's Eye Happy Haunting papers. I have a tag die from Papertrey Ink so I used that as my smaller tag.  I glued that tag onto kraft cardstock and used my ruler to cut a 1/8th inch border aro...

upcycling Pokemon wrappers

Hello everyone!  I am back with my latest sewing creations.  I have been playing around with plastic wrappers!  I've seen those upcycled plastic wrap bags and purses (usually made from Capri Sun package juice) but never really paid attention to them or how they were made until I saw this tutorial using the wrappers from Pokemon cards.  My boys love Pokemon cards and were just throwing the wrappers away but I started saving them and collected enough from their recent birthdays to make a couple of items.  Here is a little coin pouch (didn't want to call it a purse since it's for my youngest boy and he'd probably not like that).  This little pouch was made with 4 wrappers, 2 in front and 2 in back.  It is a bit tough to turn right side out because the wrappers and contact paper get stiff.  But it's possible and looks really neat!  I made it so he could hang it from the inside of his backpack and also carry around a little bit of emergency...